I recently celebrated my 59th birthday. Granted we all live in 24 hour compartments and they are the same length for each of us. But when you have tallied up enough days you begin to realize that the supply is not unlimited. I have known people who died young and that is a tragedy. I have seen and known people who lived too long and that too is tragic in its own way.
Ten years ago this summer my sister died. She was 59. Sis and I always had a special relationship. I was the youngest of three. She was ten years older. She was actively involved in my care when I was young. We were always close. She was a wonderful woman who lived an extraordinary life when faced with tragic and difficult circumstances. I learned from watching her that a person can survive even the greatest trials. She always looked out for me.
One of the things I learned from her is to not leave things left unsaid. My feelings for those close to me are strong. I care deeply. I often am unable to articulate those feelings. I think it is a guy thing. As I traverse the milestone that is my 59th year, I have a desire to live in such a way that nothing is left unsaid. One of my guiding principles comes from the Bible in the book of Ephesians. “Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.” (Eph 4:29)
I have great admiration for the people in my life. I am surrounded by extraordinarily gifted and talented individuals. My wife, my children, my grandchildren and coworkers are amazing people. They need to know—I need to tell them.
No comments:
Post a Comment