Saturday, February 12, 2011

2011 Granddad-amy Awards: Song and Lullaby

Welcome to the 2011 Grandad-amy awards. In this silly awards season where pretentious people give awards to other pretentious people, I have decided that I can be as pretentious as the next person so I am establishing my own award--The Granddad-amy Award.

There are no statues or cash prizes. The categories are totally discretionary and subject to whim of the judge. (There are no other judges for the Granddad-amy awards.) The criteria is totally subjective and the winners will likely not be notified, much to their relief.

The first two categories are for songs: The best love song, and the best lullaby. The criteria is stickiness. Does the song stick in your head and repeat itself in a non annoying way and cause you to think good thoughts toward people for whom you care.

The winner of the Love Song category is Alison Kraus, for I Will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3989jHX3sMQ . (good timing for valentines day). For those who have someone for whom feelings struggle to find words, this is a masterful combination of tune and tome.

As Granddad to three fabulous grandpersons, I have been drawn to a lullaby that I heard before I met any of them. The winner of the lullaby category for 2011 is the Dixie Chicks, Godspeed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cdpJUWQ7Y&feature=fvwrel . Having had times when my work caused me to be away from my young children, this song touches places I have been. Although written for a son, it could be adapted.

More awards to come.

1 comment: