Sunday, March 20, 2011

My New Convertible (sort of)

As you know we spend time during the winter months in Arizona. As I am sure is common among most people, we daydream and speculate about what we should do and other things that probably won't happen. Over the past few years we have been processing the thorny issue of transportation.

Last year we gave our trusty old Volvo to Josh with the intention of replacing it. As we evaluated our lives we asked the question, "Could we get by with one car?" Surprisingly enough the answer is yes. In fact we get by quite nicely. It requires planning and organization--Ginger does most of that--but it works. Sometimes when I tell friends that we have only one car, they look at me like I have a third eye or something. It just isn't normal,I guess, but I have always thought normal was overrated.

Anyway, during our fantasy period of thinking about what car to buy, we thought a convertible would be nice in New Hampshire in the summer and AZ in the winter. Sounds reasonable. But we didn't buy another car.

Enter plan B. We decided to get bikes. It was our Christmas present this year. It has been a lot of fun. As for performance, they get 1 mile per 15o-170 calories. Top speed so far is 23 MPH downhill. We have joined a bike club and are meeting some serious bike junkies. Also when we run errands here on our bikes, the $3.60 per gallon fuel in my trusty Murano stays in my Murano. Over all it is good.

More important, we are learning that we can write our own script. The beauty of life in this free country is that you can be creative in how you live it. Gotta go now. Bike club is going for a ride at 8 AM.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful! When I was in college, I took a bike trip from Chickasha, OK to Freedom, OK. I felt like I was in some kind of time warp during that 170 mile trip where time was slowed to a delightful, leisurely pace. Stay safe and look to buy the comfiest seat!

    ReplyDelete